The human brain has an extraordinary capability of retaining scores of information. On the other hand, human memory is known to be fallible. Various studies have suggested that we humans tend to forget most of the information learnt immediately after learning it. Retaining and recalling the information learnt is a strenuous thing to do. The timeframe between absorbing information and retaining the same is very short. Therefore, it is essential to adhere to a few tricks to ensure that we retain everything that we learn. Reading helps us to learn and learning helps to understand. Once we understand things clearly, we can recall the information whenever necessary.
Tips to remember what you read:
1. Patience is the key: Reading the piece of information with utmost patience and focus can do wonders.
2. Highlighting the information: Go through the information several times and ensure that you mark the important points using markers. This will help you to remember the key points.
3. Use mnemonics to connect to the words in the information: Mnemonics help you to connect to the words that you wish to retain and retrieve later.
4. Try to frame a sentence on your own to connect to the piece of information: Frame a sentence that summarises the information that you learnt. This will help you to remember what you learnt through reading.
5.* Run through the topic and the keywords quickly: Quickly go through the information and the highlighted words. This will help you to read faster, retain only the required information and remember it for a longer duration.
6. Take a break and re-read again after some time: A break helps you to relax and re-reading the same information works as fillers that aid in establishing connections with the brain.
7. Revise the information daily for a short span: This exercise will not only revise your reading, it will also help in refreshing the same.
8. Create and outline using all the highlighted words or the keywords: This outline will give you the gistgist*
➤ (n) the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
➤ (n) the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
…by BeeDictionary.com of the information that you wish to retain. Read all the keywords and the outline.
9.* Try to discuss what you read, learnt, outlined with one of your friends:*Discussions are always considered to be brainstorming sessions that help you to produce new ideas and revise your own too.
Try to incorporate these tricks in your reading and you will definitely find improvement in your learning.